BRAILLE AUTHORITY OF NORTH AMERICA SPRING MEETING

Friday, March 26, 2004: 9:00 AM 5:00 PM Saturday, March 27, 2004: 9:00 AM 5:00 PM Sunday, March 28, 2004: 9:00 AM 12:00 PM

Hosted By CANADIAN NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR THE BLIND TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA

MINUTES

1 Call to-Orde le antic anita din hi wn ken einen Anant E Kim Charlson Kim Charlson called the meeting to order at 9AM. Friday, March 26, 2004. 2 WEICOME Rees nnen ean anita nan aaten ante ania Darleen Bogart

Darleen Bogart introduced Jim Sanders, President and CEO of CNIB, who welcomed BANA to Toronto.

3 Seating of BANA members and New Representatives..............:00006 Kim Charlson

Associate Member: New Zealand, Janet Reynolds, Delegate Dr. Sandra Ruconich was seated as the delegate for AER at the meeting in the excused absence of Alan Koenig.

4 Self-Introductions Representatives and Observers

Observers:

Jill Cooter, Aquinas Pather, Phyllis Landon, Antonnette Botha, Abraham Nemeth, Edie Mourre, Jim Sanders, Linda Snider, Harold Snider, Tom Keith, Debbie Gillespie, and Raeleen Smith.

Representatives:

Kim Charlson, American Council of the Blind (ACB), Chair

Sandra Ruconich, Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (AER)

Frances Mary (FM) D'Andrea, American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Warren Figueiredo, American Printing House for the Blind (APH). Vice-Chair

Mary (May) Davis, Associated Services for the Blind (ASB)

Carol Morrison, Braille Institute of America (BIA)

Darleen Bogart, Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB)

September 18, 2004 1

Susan (Sue) Reilly, California Transcribers and Educators of the Visually Handicapped (CTEVH), Treasurer

David Grimes, Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CCBVI)

Mary Archer, National Braille Association (NBA), Secretary

Eileen Curran, National Braille Press (NBP), Immediate Past Chair

Ruby Ryles, National Federation of the Blind (NFB)

Mary Lou Stark, National Library Service for the Blind and Physically

Handicapped (NLS)

Janet Reynolds Associate Member, Royal New Zealand Foundation of the Blind, (RNZFB)

Mary Czepyha, Administrative Assistant

5 Meeting Arrangements ssc. ccscan sve, secneciecaissetnaauia anes dace Darleen Bogart Darleen Bogart outlined and explained the various meeting arrangements. 6 Board's Liability Statement .; vscwete idence hea eaneGeu teenies Mary Archer

BANA indemnifies its Officers and Board of Directors and holds them harmless from all claims of every kind, including court expenses, attorney’s fees, and the claimed amount arising from the performance of their duties as Officers and Directors except for their own acts of dishonesty and gross negligence. (Adopted March 30, 1987)

7 Agenda Approval shes seins uke ese e E teu E EE R iA Kim Charlson

The BANA materials were delayed in arriving. Frances Mary D’ Andrea volunteered to do the To-Do list; Warren Figueiredo and Mary Czepyha offered to note possible press release items; and Sue Reilly kept track of budget items.

MSC Carol Morrison moved that the agenda be accepted. Passed unanimously. 8 Braille Formats Technical Committee .............ccccceceseeseeeeeeeteeeeees Lynnette Taylor Report and Board Charges

Report on file. Sue Reilly read the report submitted by the Braille Formats Technical Committee in the absence of the board packets. The Board appreciates the comments from the Formats Committee, the communication between the board and the committee seems to be working. Debbie Gillespie clarified that Rules 3 and 4 are still being worked on by the committee.

Eileen Curran raised the issue of the use of the word ‘transcriber’ as an all- inclusive term. Concern was expressed that everyone involved in the production of braille should be included. Braille Formats is intended for a wider audience than

September 18, 2004 2

just transcribers. Suggestion: “Braille Producers’ might be a more overall term. Could also possibly define ‘braillist’ as all those involved in the process of braille production. Suggestion: List all terms for those involved in the production process in Braille Formats.

The BANA Board went through the report point by point.

In response to question regarding capitalization the Board recommends: Follow print for capitalization throughout including title pages. The Formats Committee concurred with this recommendation.

GC The Board agrees with this decision.

Mary Lou Stark will forward NLS information regarding jacket material and how to determine if it is advertising or not for purposes of Free Matter to the Braille Formats Committee.

The Board needs clarification to understand “conventional human language”. The Board recommends change in terminology to clarify this item.

Interpoint braille: The Board recommends cross-referencing “page numbering” in Rule 1 and the interpoint section yet to be written.

Word division: Clarify the concept that the need for the option for dividing words between lines when necessary should be available. The board would prefer that this be an agency decision. Please consider reworking this section based on our recommendations.

Foreign Language: Considerable discussion took place on whether to contract or not contract. Debbie Gillespie and Jill Cooter commented from the observers. Concern was expressed about contractions that bridge prefix-base, base-suffix and compound words. Some attendees thought that contractions should be used throughout the material.

GC Thanks to the Formats Committee for working on the Foreign Language in English context rule.

MSC To charge the Literary Committee to draft language for use or non-use of contractions in foreign words within English context, taking into consideration the recommendation of the Braille Formats Committee and consulting with the BANA Foreign Language Technical Committee. Passed unanimously. (Secretary’s note: this motion is repeated in the Literary Braille Technical Committee report section.)

Discussion: The Board expressed concern that there be consistency in language

September 18, 2004 3

between literary braille, Braille Formats, and foreign language braille. The Board is also concerned that there be consistency between use and none use of contractions regardless of type face.

The Board recessed for lunch at 12 noon. The Board resumed the meeting at 12:50 PM Joe Sullivan joined the meeting as an observer.

The Board was asked for more clarification on #10 from the Annual Meeting Minutes from November, 2003, which stated: More clarification is needed on educational instructional materials.

Budget request: A face-to-face meeting later this summer was requested. Estimated cost: $500 per person for airfare; $300 per person for hotel space. $5600 total if Anne Kelt as consultant to the committee is included. Discussion: Ordinarily we do not pay the expenses of a consultant to a technical committee. Kim Charlson will check to see if Perkins could host the meeting again. Also we need to know if funds are available. The Board will decide on-line after this meeting.

9 Computer Technical. C onimiittees a. siieannenssain ness eitenn tects Betty Teachman

MSC Mary Archer moved to approve the continuation of the appointment of Melissa Hirshson as a full member of Computer Braille Technical Committee with a term ending 2004. (E-mail vote ending 01-23-2004) Voting yes: FMD, WF, AK, MD, CM, DB, MA, EC, RR, MLS, DG. Not voting: SR

Report and Board Charges 9.1 Report on file. Frances Mary D’ Andrea read the report.

9.2 Discussion and recommendation of CBC special symbols page incorporation into regular standard symbols page

Currently, English Braille American Edition (EBAE) and the Computer Braille Code (CBC) are in conflict regarding what CBC symbols must appear on a Special Symbols Page.

MSC Eileen Curran moved to charge the Computer Braille Code Technical Committee to draft a revision to CBC to recommend when a Computer Braille Code Symbol should appear on the Special Symbols page. Passed unanimously.

September 18, 2004 4

10 Ad Hoc Committee on Early Literacy Materials Production........ Susan Christensen Report and Board Charges

Report on file. Warren Figueiredo read the report. Budget request: $3000 for meeting expenses for committee members not funded by APH.

MSC Darleen Bogart moved that up to $3000 be allotted to cover the

expenses of Lynn Vuocolo, Jeri Cleveland, and Marcia Dresser to attend the ELMP committee to be held at APH. Passed unanimously.

12 Refreshable Braille Technical Committee ............ccccceeecceseecceeecceeees Jennifer Dunnam

Report and Board Charges No report was received from this committee. Warren reviewed the charges to this committee. They are to:

Develop guidelines that would meet the current needs of users of electronic braille devices. (5/1/1999)

Develop a scheme for marking up files so they can be easily navigated within a linear braille format. (5/1/2000)

Achieve maximum compatibility with current format protocol in use or under development. (5/1/2000)

Liaison Sue Reilly will contact the chair of the committee.

13 Literary Technical ;Conmmittees xc. t,x cordial atune urea weecealees Martha Pamperin Report and Board Charges Report on file. Report read by Darleen Bogart. Their work is proceeding. MSC To charge the Literary Committee to draft language for use or non-use of contractions in foreign words within English context, taking into consideration the recommendation of the Braille Formats Committee and consulting with the BANA Foreign Language Technical Committee. Passed

unanimously

Board suggestion to the committee: Work on foreign language charge when the

September 18, 2004 5

committee begins work on Rule 5.

MSC Eileen Curran moved that the Literary Technical Committee be charged to review how common special symbols such as TM, R , and C should be transcribed. Passed unanimously.

14 Mathematics Technical Committee .0.........ccccceccccceeeteeeeeeeneeeeeeeeaes Betsy McBride

MSC Mary Archer moved that Allison O’Day be appointed to the Mathematics Technical Committee as a consultant to serve a one year term ending in 2004. (E-mail vote to end 12-18-2003) Voting yes: KC, WF, AK, MD, CM, SR, DB, MA, RR, MLS, DG. Not voting FMD

Report and Board Charges

Report on file. Report read by Mary Archer. Mary Lou Stark reviewed the plan of NLS to continue teaching the Nemeth Code following the death of Marcia Leibowitz.

16 Tactile Graphics Technical Committee ..........escceeeseeceeseeeesseeeseeeeeenees Lucia Hasty

MSC Carol Morrison moved that BANA appoint Lucia Hasty to serve as the US Co-Chair of the Joint BANA/CBA Tactile Graphics Interim Measures Revision Committee and that Diane Spence and Allison O’ Day also be appointed as the remaining two US committee members. (E-mail vote to end 02-20-2004) Yes: FMD, WF, AK, MD, CM, SR, MA, EC, RR, MLS, DG. Abstain: DB.

Report and Board Charges

Report on file. Carol Morrison read the report. The joint committee is going to meet in St. Paul this summer.

Warren Figueiredo reviewed the charges to the committee. They are completed.

11 Ad Hoc Foreign Language Committec.............cccccccccssssecceesenteeeeesenneeeeenees Ann Kelt Report and Board Charges

Report on file. Eileen Curran read the report. Jill Cooter commented on her participation on this committee. Ann Kelt and Joanne Baldwin are continuing to work together on examples for the manual.

September 18, 2004 6

15 Music Technical Committee .......... cece ceeeccccceeeccccnseecccensesccsceaees Lawrence Smith Report and Board Charges

Report on file. Mary Lou Stark read the report. Request to the committee: that the errata in Music Braille Code 1997 be included with their fall report to BANA.

17 Strategie PIAMIMIN GO: cxtcar nat tonite techy edbeuntucen siete wach a E aO Kim Charlson Approval of administrative assistant

Kim formalized the appointment of Mary Czepyha as the Administrative Assistant to the BANA Board.

Discussion: It would be a good idea to get feedback from groups of users. Perhaps we could meet with such groups from the areas in which BANA meets. David Grimes, Eileen Curran, Ruby Ryles, Frances Mary D’Andrea, and Kim Charlson will serve as an ad hoc committee to facilitate this happening. The emphasis and perhaps the title will be Public Outreach. David Grimes will serve as chair. A planning conference call will be scheduled.

21 MBS asec esta src va tana coe ses esd Saeco seats ee wma deed ee Mary Lou Stark

21.1 Reconsideration of tabled amendment to Policies from Fall meeting on distribution of items construed as BANA policy.

Since the board had nothing to discuss on this item at this time it remained tabled. Committee report on file.

MSC Mary Lou Stark moved that 7.7(10-99, 3-04) The 1 0” Edition of Roberts Rules of Order, Newly Revised shall govern proceedings of Board meetings except where the present Bylaws and Policies provide otherwise. Passed

unanimously by counted vote.

20 Publications COminittGesicke ss siusbess a wekteiakeueteeee aanletidewerdeuatoes Warren Figueiredo

MSC Kim Charlson moved that BANA approve the November 2003 Officers press release as submitted by Warren Figueiredo with corrections. (E-mail vote to end 12-01-2003.) Passed unanimously.

Report on file.

September 18, 2004 7

20.1 Publications Guidelines Warren Figueiredo plans to work more on this after his upcoming retirement. 20.2 BANA Brochures BANA Website: Warren received little feed-back regarding the website. APH will donate eight hours of consultant time to assist with the website. Warren reviewed what could be included on the website.

22 Secretary's Report 22 Annes = Fal 2003 zrani eenn cetera a E R oie Mary Archer MSC Mary Archer moved that the minutes of the 2003 Annual Meeting of BANA be approved with any corrections. (E-mail vote to end 01-30-2003.) Yes: WF, AK, MD, CM, DB, MA, EC, RR, DG. Yes after dealine: MLS. Not voting: FMD, SR.

22.2 Certificates of Appreciation ..........ssssseesessseseesssesessssrresssereessseress Kim Charlson

Eileen Curran has sent the certificates asked for at the last meeting. Jerry Whittle, Joyce Van Tuyl, and Susan Descarage.

22 3-Directory Update iaa a a E E T A EES gate Mary Archer Please submit changes to Mary Archer by e-mail.

2D AB ANACE XDI cet vscears ain et eeina a A n Warren Figueiredo The trunk is back from California, it will go to NBA in Philadelphia next.

22:5: Statio net y wilde E E E E aan ia ants Warren Figueiredo Warren circulated the stationery.

22:6: BANA 7S LISI SEV Ssa a a E E R EEA Kim Charlson

Martha Pamperin has requested that the whole Literary Committee be put on Formats listserv as observers.

GC Committee Chairs only will be on other listservs. The chair may then forward relevant messages to the committee.

September 18, 2004 8

23 Standard of Braille Expectation ..............:cccsssccssssccscnsccserseeesnnneeoes Alan Koenig

Item held over to next meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 5 PM on Friday, March 26, 2004.

Kim Charlson called the meeting to order at 9 AM on Saturday, March 27, 2004. Introductions of Board and observers.

Observers: Phyllis Landon, Raeleen Smith, Joe Sullivan, Constance Craig, Abraham Nemeth, Linda Snider, Harold Snider, Matt Lyles, Edie Mourre, Jill Cooter, Bill Poole, Patrick Pollard, and Tom Keith.

A card for Alan Koenig was circulated.

Darleen Bogart had some housekeeping announcements

24 Press-Release co teisortiecss eddie elena ne aneeeas Warren Figueiredo

After the meeting we will know what the releases will be. Reminder: Short announcements regarding technical committee activities will be added.

29: Treasurer s. REDO aati: arettcsat cassie thea phcts saan ena cee aa tama aa Sue Reilly 25.1 2003 year-end financial Statement

On file.

25.2 Financial report for 2004

Reports on file. Sue Reilly read the reports.

Discussion of additional requests. ELMP $3000 See ELMP report.

Warren Figueiredo will ask APH if there are other ways APH could further support

the meeting of the ELMP.

26 BANA Historis Sees des e dee ie cal dev ay Cato NE i a Eileen Curran No report.

27 International Braille Organizations

September 18, 2004 9

214 World Braille Council <5: sce. st. camate ar thd atari Geschaenaheaeunks Darleen Bogart There was a telephone conference call July, 28, 2003 to discuss the World Blind Union Braille Council, its governance and scope.

27.2 WBU North America/Caribbean Region ............ccccccceesseeeeeteees Kim Charlson 27.3 WBU Survey on Braille MUSIC ...........cccccceecececeeesteeeeeeeteeeeesenaes Kim Charlson

A Survey to Determine the Scope of Need and Availability of Braille Music was developed .

Reminder: that the letter suggesting a two tier system for Braille Music Certification still needs to be sent to NLS. Eileen Curran and Kim Charlson will work on this. 27.4 French Braille unification update 0.0.0.0... .cccceeeceeeeeetteeeeeeeees Darleen Bogart Darleen has no report on this issue. Representatives from various braille authorities from around the world who were in attendance at this meeting reported on the news of braille in their respective countries: Antonnette Botha from South Africa, Darleen Bogart from Canada, Janet Reynolds from New Zealand, Bill Poole from the UK. Lunch 12:05 PM Saturday, March 27, 2004. The meeting reconvened at 1:05 PM on Saturday, March 27, 2004. Julia Morgan joined the meeting as an observer.

18 UEBC Update LS clk Project: Report .Asccn2 Givexcdowucnasettanei Gewanwcuate Darleen Bogart Darleen Bogart gave a Project Report. 18.2 Research Reported: <caarauScuicuenm tends anes as Frances Mary D’ Andrea MSC Frances Mary D’ Andrea moved that BANA pay the third and final

installment of the research funds to Dr. Marie Knowlton and Dr. Robin Wetzel in the amount of $5,321.33 each, for a total amount of $10,624.66. (E-

September 18, 2004 10

mail vote to end 02-03-2004.) Yes: FMD, WF, AK, MD, CM, SR, DB, MA, EC, MLS, DG. Yes after the deadline: RR.

MSC Frances Mary D’Andrea moved that BANA pay the outstanding invoice to Mississippi State University in the amount of $7,890.50 for the completion of the pilot study on blind adults learning the proposed UEBC. (E-mail voting to end 02-19-2004.) Passed unanimously.

Report on file. The report was read by Frances Mary D’Andrea. Discussion: Who and what will happen so that the reports can be posted. Mary Archer submitted an updated table for the Knowlton-Wetzel Report.

18.3 Education REPOrt :cacansn wana eee Las Eileen Curran

Eileen presented the report of this committee. The Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness (JVIB) carried several articles on UEBC. More Samplers have been distributed.

19 ICEB- General Assembly sufi nha a aE E a E E E Darleen Bogart

Darleen gave background on the upcoming General Assembly of ICEB.

19.1 ICEB Delegates for U.S. & Canada

Kim Charlson, Frances Mary D’ Andrea, Eileen Curran, and Warren Figueiredo are US delegates. Darlene Bogart, Debbie Gillespie, Betty Nobel, Debbie Sitar are Canadian delegates.

19.2 BANA instructions to ICEB delegates

Mary Lou Stark clarified that on the BANA board a counted vote of seven “yes” votes is required for passage of a motion.

After considerable discussion, the BANA board through consensus determined that BANA is not in a position to make any kind of decision on the use of UEBC in the U.S. and that further consideration and consultation are required before any decision will be made.

MSC Carol Morrison moved that the rules be suspended so that the chair (Kim Charlson) could vote to reflect viewpoint of the organization she represents on the UEBC issue only. Passed unanimously.

MSC Eileen Curran moved that the US delegates to ICEB acknowledge the sufficient completion of the UEBC research project. Yes: KC, Sandy R,

September 18, 2004 11

FMD, WF, CM, Sue R, DG, MA, EC, RR, MLS. No: MD

MSC Sue Reilly moved that the US delegates to [CEB support the referral of UEBC as a code to each braille authority for consideration. Yes: Sandy R, FMD, WF, CM, Sue R, DG, MA, EC, RR, MLS. No: KC, MD

After reviewing the rest of the agenda the meeting adjourned at 5 PM

Meeting called to order at 9 AM, Sunday, March 28, 2004.

Observers: Linda Snider, Harold Snider, Abraham Nemeth, Edie Mourrie, Raeleen Smith, Fred Schroeder, Antonnette Botha, Phyllis Landon

28 Unfinished Business Dr. Harold Snider gave a report on the International Braille Research Center. 28.1 AFB Solutions FOrum.............ccccccccssscccesesnceeeesesneeeeeseseeees Frances Mary D’ Andrea

Frances Mary D’Andrea gave background on the Solutions Forum and reported on the activities of the Forum. How can BANA assist with the adoption of the Instructional Materials Accessibility Act. (IMMA)

Eileen Curran was appointed the BANA liaison to the Solutions Forum. 29 New- BUSINESS <4: c4pocsuses tasanno aa ate ity se ect A a e E haa sea aides Kim Charlson

Discussion: There is a need for a standardized test format. BANA will establish an ad hoc committee to study this. Eileen Curran will serve as liaison to the ad hoc committee. Discussion continued regarding not only format for transcribing, but the appropriateness of the test items for braille readers.

The BANA Board will recommend to the Solutions Forum that appropriateness of the items in standardized tests be discussed to avoid unfair or biased items for braille reading students.

MSC Eileen Curran moved that BANA create an ad hoc committee on production guidelines for the brailling of tests. Passed unanimously.

MSC Darleen Bogart moved that the ad hoc committee be charged to develop test production guidelines for review and adoption by BANA. Passed unanimously

Suggestion: Review Test Central Guidelines from APH. There are ADA guidelines regarding this subject for test items. Look at other guidelines such as CNIB. Possible committee members: Thora Dumont, Debbie Gillespie, Sharon Von See, Carol Alman,

September 18, 2004 12

Leslie Lightbourn, Larry Brown, Mila Truan , Carol Evans, Maria Stevens. Eileen will contact these people.

Dues increase. BANA has demonstrated a need. BANA has used half of our assets to fund research when two attempts at obtaining grants for this failed. Dues have not been increased since 1976, the year BANA was founded.

MSC Frances Mary D’Andrea moved that BANA dues be increased to $750 for 2005, $875 for 2007, and to $1000 for 2009. Passed unanimously.

MSC David Grimes moved that Associate Member dues be increased to $375 for 2005, $450 for 2007, $500 for 2009. Passed unanimously.

MSC Eileen Curran moved that the Literary Technical Committee be charged to review how common special symbols such as TM, R, and C be transcribed. Passed unanimously. Secretary’s note: This motion is repeated in the Literary Braille Technical Committee’s section.

Fundraising. We could package some of our projects and seek funding for them. The Executive Committee will brainstorm about fund raising.

29 Around the Table xi can nse eE E EENE EE T All BANA representatives Members reported on activities of their organizations.

30. Ruture BANA meeting fis tal in a E tata ta E A ihe. Kim Charlson Fall 2004 CC Committee meetings Thursday, November 4, 2004. Board meeting Friday November 5 through noon Sunday, November 7.

Spring 2005 NBA Dallas April 17, 2005. Committee meetings Sunday morning. Board meeting Sunday 1 PM through 5 PM Tuesday April 19, 2005.

Fall 2005 NFB Spring 2006 BIA Fall 2006 AER Spring 2007 APH Fall 2007 ASB Spring 2008 NLS Fall 2008 NBP Spring 2009 CTEVH Fall 2009 AFB Spring 2010 ACB Fall 2010 CNIB

September 18, 2004 13

32 Adjoürnment eroria a a E E O Guat Sactaes Kim Charlson

Meeting adjourned at 12:30 after Sandy read her quotable quotes and CNIB was thanked for hosting the meeting.

September 18, 2004 14